Saturday, May 15, 2010

How to boil water

It was a dark and stormy night. (I love lifting that line from one of my favorite fellow canine authors - Snoopy). Last night was a dark and stormy night and on such nights Lexie and I get to camp indoors. I'll admit, I'm not afraid of much, but thunderstorms get to me. Spending the evening in the kitchen let us witness Alison get a cooking lesson. Cheryl figures if she can equip Alison with the know how to make at least 5 meals, once she's out on her own she will eat more than Hot Pockets and tomato soup. Alison already has learned to make a breakfast meal (which around here is sometimes eaten for supper) of pancakes, bacon and liver mush and an anythime meal of homemade cheese pizza. On the menu last night: spaghetti. Alison boiled the water, cooked the noodles, opened a jar of sauce and put it in the pot to heat up, buttered the bread and "stumped her toe on the garlic," whatever that means, baked the bread without burning it, heated up some meatballs and made sweet tea. We got to sample a noodle and some of the bread. I have to say it was pretty good. For the next cooking lesson, we suggest Alison learn to make opossum, squirrel or rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment